• This site is best viewed with a 1024 x 768 graphic resolution
  • Wednesday, August 17, 2005

    Studying Abroad - An experience of a lifetime?

    For most students (late teens and young adults), it is at this age that we learn many things about life. Our experiences helps mould and shape our thinking. These experience can come in many ways, from friendships, to relationships to even just making decisions in life itself. For me, one of the biggest life-changing experience I've ever had is being given the opportunity to complete my tertiary education abroad.

    Like some of you, growing up, I was never exposed on many things in my teen life as my parents often shielded me. After I completed my high school education, I was all set for form 6 - I wanted to be a doctor. I did well in my science courses and I was on the right path. But suddenly I changed my mind. I began making friends with people over in the states and Canada on the internet and I often wondered what life was in those parts of the world. I will admit the media too did influence me. And so I made the decision to study abroad. I couldn't study medicine abroad because it was waaaay too expensive and costly to do so. (I'm not THAT lucky) Nevertheless my parents supported my decision and now it's been 2 years since I've been here... and I can say...it's become an experience of a lifetime for me. I've been exposed and I've seen both sides of the world now.... and my 2 years here is not something of a holiday trip. Most people I've noticed, that go on a vacation to some foreign land for a couple of weeks think they've seen it all and they think that the country is a wonderful place to live etc..

    Let me tell you one thing, going on a vacation to a country and living in a country are 2 distinctly different scenarios. Touring a country allows you to only see the good site most of the time. However when you live in a country, you're exposed to the realities of life... vacation period is over and you start living on your own in a real but foreign land.

    Scary thought? Not really if you have the right mind and the right attitude. Most foreign people I notice at my university cling to their own kind, they only mix when it involves group activity. Other than that, that's about it. So you'll see the Chinese with the Chinese and the Indians with the Indians. I sometimes wonder, why on earth did they even come here? Just being in a foreign country alone doesn't mean you'll get exposed and it wont fully develop your ability to think beyond your cultural boundries. When you're with your own kind, the exposure is limited...and you don't learn much. To be exposed is to mingle with all sorts of people and to try new things without prejudgment and to make your own conclusions about these experiences. This is how a person becomes more knowledgeable and more "culturally-experienced".

    I went to Canada, not because I had friends who will be going with me. In fact no one from my college was transfering to Canada. They were all heading to the states (blek :P ). Yes I do have some relatives here, but they live far away from the uni I was going to attend. And yet I still decided to go. Was I scared during my first 2 weeks there? hell yeah, I mean I saw all sorts of people, the druggies, the goths, the jocks... where would I fit I thought? But I eventually met this Canadian guy and till today we're the best of friends. I did meet other Canadians too and they've all been amazing. They taught me alot of things about this country, and I'm not talking about the common stuff. I mean I learnt really unique things about food and history, the social culture and how the government system works over here. Heck I even got my first real part-time job here and I've already voluntered for 2 canadian organizations over the past year itself!! I've even gone out with girls over here!

    Of course the common defensive argument I get when I make comments about students who stick to their own kind is "oh maybe they feel more comfortable with their own people". While that argument does hold true, I personally believe it defeats the purpose of going abroad simply because the more you hang out with your own kind, the more ignorant you become of your surrounding environment, and that's a fact. Another common argument I get is "oh we're not used to the environment and way of life here" I find this argument to be amusing because if you aren't used to this environment, why the heck did you even come here?

    I did my homework before coming here. I remember spending time studying about Canada's geography and learning about various major cities. I read about the weather conditions. I remember reading up on my professors' profiles on the university website in advance just to give myself a headstart. I did everything possible to gain as much information as I could about the place I was going to stay for the next 2-3 years of my life. I sometimes wonder whether the others even do that. And if you don't do your homework, that's okay. At least learn while you're here then! But that's not really the case. I'm sure there are some foreign students over here who have no idea about what Remembrance Day is all about or which Canadian teams are in the NHL or even what Lacrosse actually is and that kinda pisses me off...but then again I shouldn't be expecting much.

    I'm not trying to brag here over here....but rather I'm trying to make a point. You see going abroad is an experience of a lifetime... ONLY IF you make the best use of it. If you think you're gonna get foreign exposure by just going for classes on foreign soil or by visiting other parts of the country with your own people, you're so wrong. Being exposed is more than just that...it's about being part of a society, not just a tourist or a guest visitor...and at the end of the day, that's what makes you a more refined, intellectual and polished person. And it is these things that will distinguish you from the rest.

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Geez.

    You have so many spam comments. I guess you should just delete em off. I hope they don't get on your nerves buddy.

    I would say that experience is the best thing that we could get our hands on and learning is the mother of all sciences.

    And if I were to get the opportunity to study abroad, I will definitely cherish it and learn things about that country... And the people... Also, I will definitely mix around with others and will not stick with my own race.

    What for? You're there to experience new things and now just hang around your people... Sheesh.

    If one doesn't cherish their experience of a lifetime... I would say that they are way to shallow to enjoy and experience it.

    Cheers!

    12:54 a.m.  
    Blogger J said...

    Hi Centerpide!

    Which college did you go to before transfering to Canada?

    ~Jessy~ ^_^

    4:09 a.m.  
    Blogger Sabrina Tan said...

    hiyea...
    hello to fellow penangite...:D
    remember to absorb as much experience when u can while at uni and studying abroad!
    i find this the best time to do the things u can/want to do..
    at least u are allowed some leeway u knw...hehehe
    take care and continue to have fun!

    5:28 a.m.  
    Blogger d4g said...

    kyels: i'm trying best to hold my nerve alright!

    jessy: i was in INTI college

    sabrina: thanks for dropping by :)

    4:11 p.m.  
    Blogger d4g said...

    mistyeiz : thanks for the encouragement :)

    10:34 p.m.  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Best regards from NY! » »

    12:43 a.m.  

    Post a Comment

    << Home